With the exception of 15,000 travelers from Sanaa via Jordan..the truce is unable to convince al-Houthi of the interests of the people under his control

English - الأربعاء 17 أغسطس 2022 الساعة 10:37 ص
Aden, NewsYemen, special:

Four and a half months have passed since the UN armistice in Yemen, which took effect at the beginning of last April, and the international / US efforts are still confused towards the blocking party, and the position of the international community has not changed towards the Houthi militia, the Iranian arm, which still refuses to implement any of the terms of the armistice.

The most prominent provisions of the UN truce included a ceasefire on all fronts, the opening of the port of Hodeidah, the restart of commercial flights through Sanaa airport and the opening of roads in the city of Taiz, which has been besieged by the Houthis since 2015.

The UN envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg, said at the Security Council session, Monday, August 15, on the latest developments in the situation in Yemen, that "there is no tangible progress so far regarding the opening of the Taiz roads."  Referring to the rejection and intransigence of the Houthis.

Despite this, the UN envoy presented, during the session, a proposal to expand the truce, to include four items: the delivery of employee salaries in Houthi-controlled areas, the opening of Taiz roads and other areas, an increase in the entry of ships through the port of Hodeidah, and finally, an increase in flights through Sana’a airport.  .

Armistice extension

The UN envoy and his American counterpart put pressure on the Presidential Council to accept the extension of the armistice in its third phase with the same terms, despite their abject failure to make a breakthrough towards the suspended commitments of the armistice agreement, and the militias refused to implement or even accept its extension until the last hours with the end of its second phase.

The outcome of the truce disappointed Yemenis, especially with regard to the economic aspect, which witnessed a collapse during its first and second periods and negatively reflected on the lives of citizens and exacerbated their daily suffering in various Yemeni governorates, especially in areas under the control of the Houthis, who ignited acute crises of fuel and raised its prices on a record.  Another unprecedented rise in food, consumer and pharmaceutical prices and the lack of basic services.

Benefits and sins

With the renewal of the UN armistice in its third phase, many questions were raised about the gains it achieved for people, especially those under the control of the Houthis, or the residents of Taiz Governorate, where the Houthis refused to open roads.  In addition to the mechanism for collecting the revenues of the port of Hodeidah and paying salaries.

The truce succeeded in opening Sanaa International Airport, the largest airport in Yemen, which is under the control of the Houthi militia, after commercial flights had stopped there since 2015. During the truce period, in its first and second phases, more than 31 round-trip flights between Sanaa and Jordan were operated.  One round-trip flight between Sanaa and Cairo carried more than 15,000 passengers.

Oil derivatives have flowed extensively to the areas under the control of the putschists since the start of the UN armistice.  The UN envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg, said, on Monday, that since the start of the truce until now, 33 fuel vessels have entered through the port of Hodeidah.

Houthi intransigence in opening Taiz roads

Despite the holding of rounds of consultations between the government and the Houthi militia, in the Jordanian capital, Amman, regarding opening roads and lifting the siege on the city of Taiz, this vital file is still stumbling.

The UN envoy made several proposals to open roads in Taiz, which the Houthis rejected, and the militia announced the opening of a dirt road, the "Sixty-Fifty Road", in an attempt to evade its obligations under the armistice clauses in this regard, while the Yemeni government agreed to do so.

At the same time, the legitimate government announced, during the armistice period, the opening of a major road unilaterally, linking the governorates of Taiz and Hodeidah.  In addition, two roads were opened linking the cities of Mocha and Taiz (southwest), and a third road connecting Al-Dhalea governorate with the northern governorates.

Recruitment, mobilization and military parades

Since the start of the UN truce, the Houthi militia in Sanaa and the various areas under its control has intensified its recruitment and mobilization operations and pushing them to the fronts.

The militias carried out military parades during the UN truce period in Sanaa, Dhamar, Taiz and Ibb, in the presence of prominent Houthi leaders, in a threat that reflects the militias’ intention to mobilize military to violate the truce, while it carried out attacks on residential areas and targeted military sites on several combat fronts.

During the truce, the Houthi militia pushed large military reinforcements towards Ma'rib Governorate, the city of Taiz, the western coast and the border front, which included convoys containing vehicles, armored vehicles, tens of crews, and hundreds of fighters, including children.

These combat and military build-ups towards the fronts of Taiz, Marib and the western coast were repeated, as the militias had previously mobilized large reinforcements to the same fronts in stages during the past four months of the truce.

Houthi violations and mines despite the armistice

The Yemeni government revealed, on Monday, that 187 people have been killed and 910 wounded by Houthi fire, since the start of the truce in the country in early April.

This came in a statement issued by the permanent representative of Yemen to the United Nations, Abdullah Al-Saadi, delivered to the UN Security Council during an open session on the developments of the Yemeni crisis, according to the official news agency (Saba), and Al-Saadi accused the Houthi militia of "continuing with attacks and violations, which amounted to 50 violations daily  And resulted in 187 martyrs and 910 wounded since the start of the truce.

Earlier, the government forces announced, in their latest statistics, that their forces had monitored about 4,276 violations committed by the Houthis since the beginning of the UN truce last April.